Loft Orbital's mission is to make space simple for organizations that need to collect information about the Earth. We operate rideshare satellites where multiple customer sensors are flown on a single spacecraft platform.
As a member of our Payload Interface and Control Unit (PICU) team, you will be helping build Loft Orbital’s standard interface that enables us to host and operate a wide range of payload types.
The PICU is a flight hardware unit with a high reliability and continuous operation profile. It provides hardware, firmware and software based functionality that involves the physical and protocol level interfacing with different payloads/instruments on one side and the satellite platform on the other.
Since high flexibility and versatility play an important role, the PICU is software-centric and supports on-ground and in-space re-programmability. Loft Orbital will be utilizing the latest technology available for the PICU, which includes a mix of existing and next-generation component and processor technology.
- Must be scrappy and inventive: what you will be building has never been done before.
- Be prepared to be challenged and sometimes work out of your comfort zone.
- Willingness to be accountable, autonomous, and take full ownership of projects.
- Preferably experience with software/firmware developed for safety-critical applications or software developed for aerospace
- Awareness and understanding of mission-critical systems and related software impact
- Current on software www.loftorbital.com processes, technology and tooling
- A preference for agile yet process-controlled software www.loftorbital.com
- Ability to code and document (wherever possible electronically and in-line) in a structured way
- Ability to work both independently as well as part of a multi-disciplinary team
- Ability to learn and adopt to new technologies
- Demonstrable history of thinking outside-the-box, without losing sight of reality
- Experience working in both a Windows and Linux environment
APPLICATION SOFTWARE EXPERIENCE:
- Extensive experience in C and C++ and preferably one other structured language (non-scripted)
- Affection with different Operating Systems (RTOS’, Linux distros, embedded OS variants)
- Preferably experience with SEU mitigation mechanisms
- Affection with code editors such as : vi/ emacs or Visual Studio Code / Atom / Sublime Text
- In-depth knowledge of different processor technologies such as: ARM, PPC, LEON, OpenRISC, SoC processors
- Experience with software partitioning and controlled deployment
- Experience with local and remote debugging concepts and tools
- Understanding of potential constraints on software www.loftorbital.com and runtime resources given the space environment
- Preferably experience with hypervisor and/or container virtualization techniques
- Affection with upcoming processor technologies such as GPGPU / MPPs
The role includes competitive compensation package, stock options, and full benefits (healthcare, vision, dental).